Monday, June 9, 2014

ILIGAN CITY | MARIA CRISTINA FALLS

Hello my fellow Nomad Travelers!!

In conjunction with my Lanao del Norte trip, this entry focuses on Tinago Falls' sister, Maria Cristina Falls..

Located 9.3km Southwest Iligan City of Barangays Maria Cristina, Ditucalan and Buru-un. Well known for it's 320ft high natural beauty and grandeur, it is sometimes called the "twin falls" as the flow is separated by a rock at the brink of the waterfall. It is also the landmark of Iligan City and most importantly, it is the primary source of electric power which supplies 70% of Mindanao's electricity harnessed by the Agus VI Hydroelectric Plant operated by the National Power Corporation (NAPOCOR).

Swimming is strictly prohibited. Do not attempt to try either.

HOW TO GET THERE

BUS. Hailing from Cagayan de Oro, head down to the Westbound Terminal at Bulua and take a 2hrs bus ride to Iligan City. 
  • Super 5 Transit  - P85
  • Rural Transit  - P70 
JEEPNEY. Drop off at the bus stop and take a jeepney ride bound for ZOEY POBLACION. Drop off at Zoey poblacion and take another jeepney ride bound for Buru-un. Buru-un is the last barangay of Iligan City. Jeepney fare is at P7.

Alternatively, you can hire a multi-cab or jeepney service for a much higher fee. Feel free to haggle about the pricing.
But for a much hassle free "how to get there" take a bus from CDO bound for Pagadian. And drop at Maria Cristina. Easy and simple.
Once you've reached Maria Cristina entrance, you will be required to pay P35 entrance fee. There's a shuttle (minimum of 5 visitors) to help you get around. You'll need the shuttle. It's a long walk inside. Shuttle fee is at P85.

First stop is the Botanical Garden and Mini Zoo. The last time I visited, the Botanical Garden and Zoo seems legit enough to be called as such. However, on this visit it was not the same. The zoo only consists of Monkey, Crocodiles, Ducks and Ostrich which looks very poor of health. Not quite the zoo you may think of. Botanical Garden case was so-so. I can't say much because there was nothing to say too. 

Next stop was the main attraction, the waterfall itself. You'll be dropped at the cafe area. From there you will have a clear view of the falls. They also sell some refreshments and souvenirs. You will have to go up to the hydro plant for a much more better view. I remember last time we went inside one room which serves as a mini museum. They have pictures and other historical stuff all about Maria Cristina.

Take photos as much as you please. It's not everyday you get to see a very beautiful sight. 
THINGS TO BRING
  • Cash. (very very important)
  • Camera
  • Rash guards / long sleeves (It tends to be very hot specially for visiting at mid-day)
  • Hat
  • Sunblock
  • Water
Maria Cristina Falls also offers Tree Top Adventure. I am not sure though if they also do zipline. It can be quite risky. 
This is probably my last stop for summer. It was a great summer for me. Starting off with our Pinatubo Adventure, followed by Antique,  General Santos, and Bukidnon. I have not blogged about Iloilo and Camiguin but I've been there for summer. Although for Iloilo I was there for an overnight stay only en route to Antique while in Camiguin I was there for a family reunion and an outing to Kibila Giant Clam Sanctuary.

A great summer for me this year following my decision to quit my job. So now, I am packing my stuff for another road trip tomorrow. It is a bloody 12 hrs trip so I'd better update my music library and charge my gadgets.. 

We can always earn money, but the chance to travel around, explore and create adventurous & fun memories will only come by once. It is never fun to travel once we are old and cane-supported or wheelchair bound. 

So pack your bags and walk. Till next time!

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN TO LATELY?!?!

Much Love..

1 comment:

  1. Perfect Travel Guide to those who wants to go and experience the beauty of MARIA CRISTINA FALLS!!! Sakit.info

    ReplyDelete