Thursday, August 29, 2013

BANGKOK, THAILAND

Hello my Nomad Travelers!!!

Today's travel guide, we're going to BANGKOK, THAILAND!!!

BKK BOUND FLIGHT via SIA.
I have been to Bangkok thrice and on all occasion I travelled on an "ALL EXPENSE PAID TRIP" by the company. It was actually for our annual company retreat.

One of the best times in the year, aside from our annual bonus is the company retreat. Every year, we go out of the country and enjoy ourselves for 3 days or more if you wish to extend. My first trip to Bangkok was in 2007 followed by Phuket in 2008 and then back to Bangkok again in 2009, come 2010 the company went to Shenzhen, China and 2011 back to good ol' Bangkok! Yep! You might say we are lucky but honestly, really, we freaking deserve our trips for the entire year's hard labor.

Anyways, the highlight of the trip for BKK (Bangkok) is shopping, shopping and more shopping!!! I'd say, it's probably like the shopping capital of Asia coz it's so cheap there!

Okays!

TOUCHDOWN

Suvarnabhumi International Airport. You'll be amazed by how huge their airport is. We were fetched by our buses. But for those of you who's not in group tours you can always hire a taxi to bring you to your destination. Or perhaps the best thing is ask your booked hotel for airport transfers. Makes life easier.
BANGKOK AS SEEN

WHERE TO KNOCK OFF?!

In 2007 we stayed in The Baiyoke Sky Hotel. Thailand's tallest hotel. The rooms were fantastic. As for the views, well, you can clearly see BKK. For me there's nothing so scenic unless it's the view of the ocean, sunrise, sunset. Breakfast is located at 76th & 78th floors. Pretty high!

I kinda don't have pictures from my first trip to BKK and of Baiyoke Sky Hotel. All of my pictures from this my first travel was posted in Friendster which sadly before I abandoned that social media I didn't grab any of my trips. Sorry.

But rest assured Baiyoke is a nice place to stay.

In 2009 & 2011 we stayed in Amari Watergate Hotel. The rooms were totally awesome! And the best part about this location??? It was just right in front of Platinum Mall where you can shop till you drop!!! Okays. On my 2009 BKK trip I've loads of pictures for this.
Back in 2009, we had a pajama party! The boys except for Irwan all went out. Wan's part of the sisterhood!

A MUST TRY

FOOD. Visiting BKK, it is a must try to eat their gastronomic grubs!

PHAD THAI
GREEN MANGO SALAD (My favorite!)
PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE (My favorite!)


FRESH SPRING ROLLS
MANGO STICKY RICE. A MUST TRY FOR DESSERT


ACTUALLY, I FORGOT WHAT THEY CALL THIS. 
POMELO SALAD


TOM YAM SOUP 
I FORGOT WHAT ARE THESE.


DESSERT. Something like Kuay.
PRAWNS. 


DEEP FRIED FISH
KANGKONG.


PRAWNS IN OYSTER SAUCE
BIRDS NEST SOUP (expensive stuff!)


DINNER AT THE SUPATRA RIVER HOUSE
WHAT TO DO?! 

MASSAGE. Every trip we go, wherever it may be especially in Thailand, we always head first to any MASSAGE PARLOR!!! I just love Thai massage! For 250BHT-300BHT you will get 2hrs massage! Heavennnnnn!!! The first I went there, I went for massage.
BACK IN 2009 BKK TRIP

SHOPPING. Bangkok is crammed with small barter trade like stalls with many stuffs from clothing to trinkets to bags to shoes to food and a whole lot more! Just make sure you put your cash somewhere safe. The streets can get pretty crowded. You can get the price lowered down. Bargain as much as you can!

Aside from outside shopping, they also have malls. You can bargain here as well. Luckily for us, be it if we stay in Baiyoke or Amari, Platinum mall is just a walk away!
2009 BKK SHOPPING
2009 BKK SHOPPING


In 2011, I did minimal shopping only. And I was alone doing my shopping so no photos of 2011 shopping spree. Same goes to 2007, I did not go shopping at all. I don't really like to shop.

Other shopping places would be the Patpong Night Market and Chatuchak (if I spelled it correctly).

PATPONG. Patpong is a place in Bangkok which equals to Red Light District. I only went there once, back in 2007 and never step foot in that place again even with my 2 trips returning to BKK. Here's how it went.

Back in 2007, my colleagues being curious wanted to see Patpong. See the "Aqua" show and whatever. So I went with them. Anyways, our initial plan was to go to Patpong Night Market and do some night shopping. Patpong Night Market is located in the center of the street surrounded by night clubs. I didn't know that the area was the Red Light District. So we took a cab. This cab driver, gave us this A4 size card saying that it's the "Patpong Menu". OMG! Hahaha... The card was actually the menu of girls that you'd probably want or don't want to see. And he kept on talking about how they can open beer with their vaginas and stuff. Excuse for this experience. I am just sharing this whole Patpong experience to you my friends.

Anyways, once we reached Patpong, there's this guy who straightaway opened the door for us and kept telling us to go there and here and saying that this club has girls that can do this and that. Beautiful girls and blah blah blah... Honestly, we were not interested. But he kept on pestering us! So my manager gave him some cash and told him to go away. We had about 5 peaceful minutes and then he came back again pestering us. So we ended up entering this empty night club with girls dancing naked. Uhmmm... I can appreciate any types of body in any way, but seriously, if you are in that kind of industry, your body is your source of income, I think it is safe to say that you best take care of your body. Am I right to say that??? Anyways, yes, naked girls dancing. But instead of my guy friends getting excited, they got pretty much disgusted. They were old women with sagging breasts and a body of a woman who gave birth 5 times! I'm sorry to say.

Anyways, we immediately went out and then we found a much more appropriate bar to stay and have some drinks. Mind you people, when going for drinks in Thailand, and I mean anywhere in Thailand, you have to pay for the ice! They'll cost you 20BHT. We find it totally weird. Why do we have to pay for the ice??? But, 20BHT is so cheap so we paid anyways. After some drinks, we went back to the hotel.

Thai people they're very nice. Friendly. Helpful. I like them actually. And they speak so soft.

That was my Patpong experience. Well, do I want to go back there again? Uhmmm.. Maybe? Maybe not. It's not really a place for women. There were a lot of caucasian males there though. And frankly, Patpong is not just all about 100% women but it's also a place for "Lady Boys" and there's loads of them there believe me! You wont even know that they're lady boys coz they're so friggin beautiful! Pretty than a real woman. Just don't let them speak. Hahaha...

CLUBBING. For some serious clubbing in BKK, head down to RCA! It's this huge massive complex filled with party goers. I was so amazed by this club. Nothing like the clubs in Singapore. And ofcourse, alcohol was F.O.C for us!!! Company sponsored drinking. Hahaha... We were handed coupons to collect whatever we want. Upon arrival at RCA we were lead to our tables with booze already waiting for us! 2011 I went back to the hotel totally drunk! In the still moving cab, I opened the door and puked my guts out.. That was horrible. But, I didn't have any hangover and that was amazing!
2011 BKK TRIP
2009 BKK TRIP


GO WHERE?!

When in BKK it is not only the shopping and the exotic night life that you should be going, there are a whole lot more of places to visit. Pop by the following places and get a good look at Thailand's colorful history, sights and sounds. Click on the provided links for more information.

The Grand Palace           The City Pillar Shrine                  King Prajadhipok Museum
Sanam Luang                 Bangkok Dolls & Museum          Chinatown
Siam Niramit                  Vimanmek Mansion Museum

Much of my 3x travel to BKK was so time limited. Since it was a company retreat, our free and easy time would be after check in on the 1st day and before 5pm the 2nd day.

BKK weather is so hot and humid. Shopping malls were haven for us! Most of us were drunk on both 1st & 2nd night.. And while on the way back to Singapore, most were having bad hangovers. Touchdown Singapore and it's back to reality.

But I enjoyed every trip to BKK. Such colorful cultures they have be it traditional or the new exotic ones. BKK is moving forward now. For some fun ride, hop on their tuk-tuk's and have a tour around the city.


Some tips for first time travelers to Thailand.


  • Avoid buying anything in Thailand Duty Free. Last 2011, we were alerted by our travel agency of the scams that has been going on there. That was 2 years ago. I don't know if it's still on going now. But just be safe.
  • Bring loads of SUNSCREEN protection. BKK is so hot and humid. You will get burned if you keep on walking under the hot sun.
  • Learn the art of bargain. But bargain nicely. Most retail prices in Thailand are marked up high because it is somehow like a culture there that any shoppers be it local or foreigners will bargain down the price. If they refuse your price, walk away. They will call you back and agree to the price that you want. 
  • Be wary of where you put your cash. Always keep your cash in a safe pocket or belt bag or wherever you feel that is safe.
  • For guys: PROTECTION. It is a must if you are ever gonna visit the Red Light District or bring any Thai girl back to your hotel for that matter. Stay safe.
  • Plan ahead your itinerary. Or better yet, join an organized group tour. Beware of scammers. 
  • Don't talk to strangers. If you need to ask directions, ask from a security guard or police if you see one. Sometimes, people will scam you if you look like a lost wanderer. Pointing you to places you might not want to go.
  • Leave your passport to your hotel's safe box. Carry a photocopy of your passport.
  • Drink lots of water. Hydrate yourself. Like I said, BKK is hot and humid. 
  • RESPECT their culture. You are visiting their country after all. You are not in your country's soil.


There you go! Hope that you got some ideas from here if you ever want to visit Bangkok (BKK). Stay safe and have a happy journey!

Please do leave a comment if you find this blog helpful.


Thanks for reading guys!

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN TO LATELY?!?!

Much Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment